Maritime Masterclass: Darn It! Mend It! Use it Forever!Our Maritime Masterclasses are practical, skills-based classes, meant for those wanting to refresh their knowledge or learn something new.
Cost:$18.00 – $29.99 per person
About this experience
Our Maritime Masterclasses are practical, skills-based classes, meant for those wanting to refresh their knowledge or learn something new.
Due to the interactive and hands on nature of this class, there is no virtual option.
Darn It! Mend It! Use it Forever!
Date: Saturday February 11
Time: 2:00 PM
Duration: 2 hours
Registration Fee is a SLIDING SCALE. Choose to pay ONE of the amounts in the pricing menu. The total number of spaces for this Masterclass is limited to 10.
Are you overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of global textile waste; caught in a cycle of fast-fashion buying and disappointment; inspired to commit to a creative and rewarding hobby? Are you ready to darn it!—mend it!—use it forever? Whether you have never picked up a needle and thread before, or are seeking inspiration and community in stitching, this masterclass is the space to learn and practice invisible and visible mending skills, including basic darning. We will discuss how personal wardrobes and collection practices differ from museum collections, philosophies on alteration and upcycling, and how you can ensure the garments you love (even fast-fashion garments!) can be useful beyond a few washes.
Instructor: Anya Zanko
Instructor Anya is sewing her dream wardrobe out of thrifted tablecloths and maintaining her small personal collection of fast fashion, wearable antique and vintage clothes. Her favourite pair of trousers are 10 years old from Forever 21, and still going strong. She works as an events and development coordinator and sews in the evening. She has no formal qualifications in fashion or sewing; but neither did all the home seamstresses and stitchers in her family who kept everyone looking sharp.
- We prefer online registrations; if you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommended for ages 10+
- Members receive 20% off (see members newsletter for discount code)
- Individuals under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a paying adult (18+)
- All individuals, including adults chaperoning their children under 12, are required to register as workshop participants
- Includes the cost of admission and self-guided activities
Commitment to Access:
- Designated aides are always admitted for free. Please let us know how we can best support you in the registration booking notes.
- We partner with service-based organizations and schools to provide free access to our museum for underserved or marginalized communities. Please use our bursary form to let us know more about your needs.
The sliding scale pricing model allows folks who would most likely be priced out of something to have the chance to take part in it. It also seeks to address the systemic inequalities of class in our culture.
Please be mindful that if you purchase a price at the lowest end of the scale when you can truthfully afford the higher ticket prices, you are limiting access to those who truly need the gift of financial flexibility.
Read more about it here to determine where you fit on the scale.